17.9.04


genius loves company Posted by Hello

This is what I have in my CD player right now.

My wife surprised me and brought this home from the store the other day.

I haven't always been a Ray Charles fan, I guess the older I get the more I appreciate the genius of his music. He was a barrier breaker. Pop music, Soul, Blues, Country....you name it, he's sung it. If you would like to experience something gut-wrenchingly beautiful go to his official website, http://www.raycharles.com, and click on the America the Beautiful link. Ray singing in his raspy baritone one of the most emotional renditions of America the Beautiful with images of 9/11 playing in the background. It's beautiful!

The album pictured above was his final project. It is a compilation of duets with some amazing artists. My favorites have to be the songs with the ladies. Ray and Norah sing "Here We Go Again" on track 1 and you immediately find yourself bawling. Track 3 brings Diana Krall's sultry sound and Ray's soulful cry together in a wry and simple rendition of "You Don't Know Me." I am not much of a Natalie Cole fan but she and Ray do a playful version of "Fever" that makes you tap your toes. "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind?" with Bonnie Raitt is understated and especially bluesy. How could it not be with these two greats of blues music?

Anyway.....such a great album. It makes me want to mellow out with a beer and a cigar and just listen.

Just listen.


1 comment:

Tom said...

I think there must be something wrong with your blog. It says you last post was Sept 17th, however it is currently Oct 22nd?? Surely this is not correct?

However, on the topic of "Ray" - it comes out Friday!! 9:00 show? Cheers.