2.8.04

Will Smith, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash walk into a bar...

I went to see I, Robot on Saturday. I thought the story line was compelling, it was visually stimulating and had enough theological and philosophical content to keep the Asimov diehards happy. If you have not read Isaac Asimov's short stories, do it. They are must-reads for anybody interested in how pop-culture and pop-literature deal with issues of sovereignty and predestination.

Now is the time in the program where I steal somebody else's format for blogging. It seems that most bloggers keep everyone up to date on their current music faves.

Mine right now are The Essentials of Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. Two separate compilations, two discs each. Willie Nelson's rendition of "Blue Skies" on Disc 1 is absolutely amazing, and his duet with Ray Charles on Disc 2 for the song "Seven Spanish Angels" is staggering. What I like about "The Essential..." series is that they are the recordings from the original studio or live sessions. So....it's not a sixty-something Willie singing "Cryin'", it's the 26 year old Willie.

But I don't mine the "rough-cut" sound the older voice renders on a good recording.

Perfect example - "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. Can you imagine him singing that at any other time in his career? There seem to be waves of emotion and experience that crash against you like surf on sand. The voice of despair, grief, regret....is spent singing about the hurt and damage he's caused. If you don't know the song....listen. Then watch the video. It's somewhere on the 'net. I know people that don't even like country music that have cried after watching this video. I am one of those people.

Oh and, by the way, you've got to check out the live version of "Boy Named Sue" from Folsom that is included on, I think, the first disc of the album. Brilliant. "My name is Sue...HOW DO YOU DO!"



No comments: