23.8.04

Writer's Block

Hey folks........

I have probably started and stopped an entry at least 4 times in the last week and a half. I couldn't think of anything to submit to y'all and honestly have not had the energy to write!

Work has been hell lately, which is funny considering that I work in Christian Retail! Get it? I have been logging approximately 50-60 hours a week the last month or so and it all culminated in me getting sick and leaving early last Thursday (early being 4:00 p.m., I still put in a 7 1/2 hour work day) and taking Friday off (if that means that I was still there first thing to make sure that everything got started okay).

In other words I am overworked and underpaid. That's just the black and white, honest truth. But now that I am done whining let me go on with the rest of my thoughts.

So I have been reading this book by Ken Gire called Reflections on the Movies: Hearing God in the Unlikeliest of Places and I stumbled across something that got my creative juices flowing. Gire states in his chapter entitled Criticism of the Movies that -

Criticism is one way we can approach a movie. It seems to me, however,
that this way of approaching a movie contributes little, if anything, to
our growth as human beings. Critical analysis of a movie seems to me
something like the way we might analyze a sentence, diagramming its
subject and verb, its adjectives and adverbs, its prepositional phrases,
direct objects. When we're done with the diagramming, every word is in
its proper place, and there is something satisfying about that. It's the
same type of satisfaction an accountant gets when he balances the books
he's been examining. The difference between the two is that accounting
was designed for that kind of scrutiny. Art was not. Art was designed to
be experienced, not critiqued.

Okay.....let that sink in.
Think about art.
Its affect and its nature.

Now think about the Bible.
About God.
About the Church.
About Christianity.

These are things that are inherently meant to be experienced, not critiqued.

Now, don't get me wrong. I believe that God gave us minds to discern and the ability to think for a reason. This is not a plea to believe everything that your pastor says wholesale and to never be critical. If that was the case we would have more Jim Jones' and David Koresh's than you could shake a stick at.

This is a plea to act on your faith. Make it an experience not merely a mental ascent to some truths that you hold.
Do the things that Jesus did.
Serve others.
Love your neighbor.
Walk somewhere for a change.
Wash somebody's feet.
Tell stories.

Experience the Kingdom.

7 comments:

soundofmethinkingtooloud said...

I feel like seminary has made me more of a critic, especially with things that pertain to the church. I guess that's just one of the side effects.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog Michael. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of custom clay poker chips and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on custom clay poker chips . Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching poker card chips. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from poker card chips I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at poker card chips. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching poker chip keychains. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from poker chip keychains I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at poker chip keychains. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. Michael I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on cheap poker chips sets and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to cheap poker chips sets. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

Anonymous said...

I love your blog Michael. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of clay composite poker chips and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on clay composite poker chips. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on canada poker chips I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about canada poker chips. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at canada poker chips. You never know you may find some good deals!