1.2.06

Peace Like A River


What I'm Reading.....

If you have never read this book....do yourself a favor and pick it up. It's quite amazing. It's a little A River Runs Through It and a little Big Fish. The characters are vivid and well-drawn, and the most miraculous thing about it....you care about them right away. I honestly don't know how he did it, but there is no space between you and the page, it completely pulls you in. Just read it, you will thank me later.

Now on to other things.

Thank You.

Thanks for all of your encouraging words regarding my last post. I won't lie to you.....it's been a difficult couple of weeks. Kristin and I are trying our best to get to Waco as soon as possible, and it's just not happening. We did find out something good.....our landlady said that we would not be penalized for breaking our lease if the house is rented before we leave......that's good news. Now it's just getting there.

I have been thinking a lot about sacrifice lately. Kristin has sacrificed a lot by being the main bacon bringer, and it's my turn now. So what will I have to sacrifice?

That's actually a question.....because I just don't know. I say I am willing to do anything (as a career choice) but yet, I don't have a job waiting for me. The latest idea is to teach. It's something that I think I could do, and do well, but it is going to cost more money (to get certified and all that jazz). So I still covet your prayers......

---------------------------------------

In Peace Like A River the narrator, an asthmatic boy named Reuben, tells us something that his sister will write "years later." She writes, "Once torched by truth a little thing like faith is easy." I am trying to come to grips with that statement. It sounds so poignant and telling.....yet it's meaning escapes me.

Why?

Because I see being "torched by truth" as an unequivocal moment that defies all subtlety and ambiguity. Being "torched by truth" is equivalent to the lips of God whispering in our ears. Like:

"your friend is gone....all you have left are your memories....."

Yet, my faith has been rocked. To the core. I still wonder why.....and cry why not me? Faith is not easy, faith is hard. Especially in light of tragedy. We can't make sense of the wickedness of the world, or of the seemingly senseless life that we live while others die. We can only hand over our insecurities and selfishness to our Creator.

In the appendix of (Re)Understanding Prayer Kyle gives us a sample of some Historical Prayers. This one is one of my favorite:

Calm my troubled heart; give me peace. O Lord, calm the waves of this heart, calm its tempests! Calm thyself, O my soul, so that the divine can act in thee! Calm thyself, O my soul, so that God is able to repose in thee, so that his peace may cover thee! Yes, Father in heaven, often have we found that the world cannot give us peace, but makes us feel that thou art able to give peace; let us know the truth of they promise: that the whole world may not be able to take away thy peace.

~Soren Kierkegaard

3 comments:

Leo Percer said...

A Kierkegaard prayer! Wow!

Mike, I sense your frustration and in many ways share your pain (thanks Bill C). I am praying for you and Kristen, and if there is anything else I can do to make the move to Waco a reality, call me. Don't suffer alone, don't be the rugged male individual--call me.

If you don't, I'll come kick your butt!

Just kidding.

Leo

Craig said...

Are you not to the end of the book yet? Oh, boy, you think it's amazing now-- the next to the last chapter is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,
I noticed you changed your location status to Waco. Little step of faith me thinks? :) Don't lose hope on movin' back. It's easy to get discouraged, I know, but take heart and know that we're praying for y'all and are anxiously awaiting an address so we can show up with random house-rewarming house plants.

P.S. Happy belated birthday!!

Joell