1.3.06

Home
or: Where you lay your head is a pillow not a metaphor for something that is a lot more philosophical in nature than practical.

I personally like the alternate title, even if it is lengthy.

So here's another quote from Donald Miller:

"Everybody has to leave, everybody has to leave their home and come back so they can love it again for all new reasons." (from Through Painted Deserts)

So I am coming home. Waco, that is. I gave my 2 weeks last week and will be on the road on the 11th of March. Perhaps an all nighter to make it to UBC on Sunday. I don't know yet. Regardless...I am coming home.
I don't know why we left in the first place, but I don't regret moving to Phoenix.
This last year has been full of stress and angst, primarily from financial struggles, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I have been able to get to know my little nieces, Kristina and Deana, and will miss them terribly.
My sister and I have been able to reconnect...which has always been important to me.
Kristin and I have waded through financial struggles and stressors only to come out more resolved on the other side.
I experienced the personal dream of going to Culinary School only to realize that your hobby can't always put food on the table, even if it is cooking.
All of these things were important, and perhaps even necessary, to get us to where we are right now.

My wife has said it more eloquently than I have, so I will rip this off from her.
"Family will always be there. Friends can leave."
Sounds depressing, doesn't it?
But true.
So we do our best by cultivating friendships.
Creating and maintaining our "other" family.
Doing everything in our power to be better friends than we've been in the past.
Calling more, writing more, doing more for the people that we love.
So we choose Waco. UBC, and all of our friends there.

Can't wait to see you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen tagged me....if you want to see my responses (some of them are kinda funny) go here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be great to have you back in the Lone Star state. Once you get settled, you will have to come stay for a weekend in East Texas. Any word on a job yet?

-cory

jenA said...

i love how you trackback your blogs! Very cross-markety of you... so excited you're coming back! and on the day I get to upgrade my cell phone, too :) happy travels

ps I think we're looking for a cook at the Elite.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you finally bit the bullet. We miss you around here!:)

J.B.

Leo Percer said...

Mike:

I love you and Kristen. I'm glad for you. Call up Brent, maybe he needs a manager (sarcastic grin)! Seriously, let me know when you get settled. We may be in Waco for weddings this summer, we'd love to hang out. I'm praying for you. Move to VA sometime so I can see you.

Leo