20.7.04

A Chip on my shoulder

Hi folks......I just find out that a mentor of mine passed away this weekend. I don't want to get all melodramatic and cheesy, but it is in these times that I really start wondering how much I allow those that I trust and believe in to truly affect the way I live my life.
Does that make any sense? Don't we elevate certain people in our lives to deity and then minimize their affect on us? It's almost as if they are the perfect version of you that you can never be.
This mentor of mine was an incredible man. A man of God, a man of thought, a man who loved beauty and was moved by it constantly.
I am taken aback. I can't sleep so I created this blog.....maybe it will create a space for me to release some of these feelings of failure and lowered expectations that I have put on myself.
Does death always seem to do that. I mean, I am sure that there are those times when we read or see on the tv that somebody has come to a horrible end and the first thing on our minds is, "Whew! Glad it wasn't me!" Well when I heard about this beloved teacher of mine passing away I couldn't help but think, "Why not me?"
 
He had much more to offer this world, even in his twilight, than I will ever have. But that is my legacy. That is how I will choose to honor him. Not to emulate, and not to be that better version that he seemed to have down pat. But to always live a life of integrity and honor, like Chip Conyers.
 
We love you and will miss you.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
Don't worry about what you have to offer this world. Worry about what God has to offer this world through you. And believe me, thats a lot.
"It is not I, but Christ who lives in me"

on a more trivial note: hope you're having a great summer, I know I am. But I can't wait to get back to Waco and UBC. I'm in Chicago for the second half of the summer, and finding a church up here isn't so easy. I haven't really liked either of the two churches I've visited so far, and its really making me appreciate what a great thing I've got in my Waco church. Are you guys gonna teach Fishbowl again this year?
Peace of Christ to you,
Jon Wilson

Anonymous said...

Michael-
I can understand that tragedy and loss cause us to reflect and re-focus. Everything that was beautiful in Chip Conyers was simply his overflow of his incredible love relationship with Christ. He overflowed into many people, including you. The choice you now have is...are you going to bottle up that love or are you going to tap into that eternal spring that spilled out of Dr. Conyers?
Michael, you are gifted in more ways than you obviously know...as I believe was the same for Chip. Be confident that you are here today because you still have a ministry to fulfill. It may be a ministry to those at Compass or to your wife at home...or it may be simply writing on a blogger in the middle of night. Know that God is always preparing you to serve and love him. That is our ultimate purpose, in life and in death.
I hope to see you soon!
--Brandi Buchanan