22.7.04

Wives, Lions and Wardrobes....Oh My!

My lovely wife Kristin gave me as a gift for graduation the hardback series of C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia. What an amazing gift it was. If you have not read it you absolutely need to. Do not hesitate because they are "children's" stories. There is truth, beauty, and possibly most important of all....innocence, in these books. I am only on the second book of the series, but they read quick and are fun to read aloud. My wife hates it when I do that! I'll get to a good part and nudge her back awake from slumber to read the three pages preceding the "good part" (you need context, right?).  She smiles and listens and laughs (inwardly, probably more "at" me than "with" me). I love it when she allows me to read to her though. It brings something fresh to our relationship when we can enjoy each other's passions.

She loves country music. I grew up outside of Los Angeles and never really cared for the stuff. Yet lo and behold I am now a Johnny Cash (God bless his soul!) and Willie Nelson (God bless him too, I guess!) fan. My favorite band is the "Newgrass" band Nickel Creek. If you ever get the chance to see them live - Do It!! I guess all I mean to say in all of this is that when you love someone with the kind of love that aches when they're gone, make sure you allow them to affect who you are. I get so tired of the dating schtick that goes, "Don't let him/her change who you are!!" I understand the sentiment, and to a certain degree I might agree, but never let yourself become so rigid that love can't change you.

Love had better be flexible....or else there would be no such thing as the Cross. Chew on that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I caught Nickel Creek at ACL fest last year - quite good.