2.12.05

Beautiful

Embrace Beauty


In Kyle's book he references an article by Brian McLaren that I would like to share with you regarding this 1/3 of our modern shema. It goes like this:

I go to a movie. In this movie there are murderers, sex addicts, thieves, and thugs. But even among these desperate and damaged characters, there are moments of tenderness, forgiveness, loyalty, honor, and honesty. As the story unfolds, I look just like everyone else sitting in the theater, eating popcorn and candy, but in my mind I am engaged in a kind of discernment that my movie-watching neighbors are largely oblivious to. Because I have been "set apart" by God's message of truth, I evaluate all I see and hear in the movie by the grid of this understanding. The guy nest to me is thinking, 'Nice body on that woman...cool car...whoa, neat special effect.' But my mind is humming, comparing the action and values pictured in the movie with the message of truth I have come to believe.
While I was in Seminary I took a class on Faith and the Arts. The bulk of the time that was spent in discussion was on this topic of Beauty. You see, to me, it's not as subjective as you may think. You may speak of preference..."I prefer romantic comedy's vs. the next Summer Blockbuster" or "Asian-Fusion cuisine is so 90's....I am more into the authentic Mediterranean spices and sauces" or, more pointedly, "Church Choirs are so OVER!!!! I need a praise band that writes their own music and plays every instrument."
Now.....while I might actually agree with the last sentiment....I would never, NEVER, dismiss an alternative art form to my own preference merely because I don't like it. Do you get where I am going with this?
Like the cheesy songs says, "Everything is beautiful, in it's own way."
The beautifulness (is that even a word?) of something does not depend on our opinion of it. That is merely preference.
Beautiful is God's gift.
Beautiful is everything.
Light and Shadow accentuate and highlight what is beautiful.
Sometimes when everything is illuminated it is difficult to discern the real beauty of something.
It's all so bright and washed with light.
There are nooks and crannies that are in between the dark and the light.
That is where we live.
Craving what is good and beautiful.
Clinging to God's promises.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I just got to thinking........when Kyle would use this as benediction he would say it like this......
"As we approach this week may we Love God, Embrace Beauty, and Live Life to the Fullest."
He never said "Embrace your version of beauty" or "Embrace your opinion...."
It was merely "Embrace Beauty."
I think that the challenge here is similar to the "Love God" issue.
We need to be about seeing the world through Christ's eyes.
Not our own.
When we do that everyone is worthy of love and everything is beautiful.
Let's try to be the people that love.......

No comments: