15.12.05

It's late......

hello friends.......
it's another late night.
I haven't been to bed before 2am in a very long time.
I don't know what my deal is.
Actually tonight I do.......

Kristin and I went to see one of our favorite bands tonight at the Marquee Theater in Tempe.





Nickel Creek was amazing as usual.....this is the third time for us to see them.
Oddly enough.....it was also the third state that we've seen them in.
The first time was in San Juan Capistrano in Southern California....kind of their home turf (Sara and Sean Watkins are from Carlsbad, CA).
The second time was at Stubb's in Austin.....great Barbecue! If you ever get the chance to go there to see anyone play, do it!
So this third time was here in Phoenix......man, we've moved alot!

Anyway the show was amazing!
The opening act was this guy named Andrew Bird. I had never heard him before but he was flippin' fantastic!!
I realize that I use exclamation points a lot!
Should I stop?
Does it water down the intensity of my excitement if I use it too much?! (okay.....that one was superfluous)

So I had never heard him before and he was really goooooood. It was just him and a drummer. He would play the violin/guitar/glockenspiel and he would whistle (amazing whistler!). He would loop and layer the instruments like Dave does in some of the band's songs like the beginning of Rescue is Coming. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Dave.....I don't know if you read this, but you need to check this guy out. You actually probably already know of him.....but if you don't I think you would love him!

I have to admit with some shame that one of my favorite parts of the evening is when NC covered Toxic.
Yeah.....that Toxic.
They toasted Britney after they finished the song....it was hilarious.
Kristin and I commented on the ride home that they are in some serious need of good music on their bus if all they have is Toxic by Britney Spears......we should send them a copy of A Collision.
I think that they would really like it......really.

Totally off topic now......and it's late.....must sleep

1 comment:

soundofmethinkingtooloud said...

I know that Dave is a big fan of Andrew Bird. I've had a couple conversations with him about Andrew's music. There's another guy you might like then too. He goes by the name "Final Fantasy". I think his real name is Owen. Anyway he did all the violin parts for the Arcade Fire. He does a lot of crazy looping with the violin. It's a hard to find CD, but there are a couple places where it's available online. The CD is called "Final Fantasy Has a Good Home." Later man!